Sunday, August 19, 2007

Visiting Albert the Bull

If you've seen much Iowa tourism literature, odds are you've seen a photo of Albert the Bull. He's also on the list of 100 Places You Must Visit in Iowa. Linda and I were in the area looking for some onion rings on the 100 Things You Must Eat in Iowa but found we were an hour early. Having time to kill, we set out to find Albert. There's more to that story but I'll leave it for later.

We found our way to Audubon and there, in a park on the south side of town, stood Albert. Having seen the Super Bull competition at the Iowa State Fair had not prepared me for the scale and majesty of this specimen. He's huge! Okay... yes, he's a statue. He's still huge. I walked under his belly ducking only slightly.

Linda I speculated about what he was actually made of. It's an unusually beaded surface that otherwise could be very much like fiberglass; maybe it is fiberglass, we couldn't really say. To paraphrase Charlotte, "Some Bull."

No comments: