Friday, February 01, 2008

Trying Ottumwa's Canteen Lunch in the Alley

This little joint has it going on. Location, location, location seems to go out the window for these folks. The front door is on an alley downtown and a parking ramp has been built over and around them but they're still there.

Linda and I stepped inside and found the classic horseshoe shaped counter with over a dozen stools... nearly all filled! One of the three women running the joint pointed out a couple seats along the side and asked what we wanted on "it." Interesting to go somewhere that they know what you're there for. "It" is their truly tasty loose meat sandwich.

Practically by the time we'd settled on our stools, they were handing us our food. These three have it down. They cut the buns, slather the requested condiments, scoop up the meat, and do the fast food origami that holds it all together so smoothly that it was mesmerizing.

As I was about to finish my sandwich, the bun cutter asked if I'd like another; with marketing and product like that, I said "Sure!" and it was on the way.

The decor is not where they spend their money. I'm guessing many of the items were in place before the youngest of those working was born; it's just part of the experience. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Before we'd finished, the customers had completely turned over so there were plenty of watch. This place is a fixture and, in my opinion, well worth the stop.

No comments: