Saturday, February 28, 2009

Visiting Eric at Work

I'd never seen a Heidelburg Windmill in my forty-plus years and, within a few weeks, I saw my son operate one and another featured in a major motion picture, Seven Pounds. Eric twisted this and nudged that, coaxing the machine to produce the distinctive impressions of letterpress.

As Eric directed, the machine gyrated and pulsed with mechanical rhythm as it transformed a stack of blank printstock into handsome wedding invitations. The machine itself was fascinating to watch but seeing Eric drive it was the real treat. It's not a machine you turn on and let run unattended; it requires supervision and direction. Eric clearly knew the nuances of the machine and how to correct it when it drifted off the mark. We really enjoyed seeing him work and clearly enjoy the work he was doing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool. Did I miss the name of the movie?

Dale said...

Seven Pounds, I left it out when I wrote the post. I've updated the post to include it.