Monday, May 25, 2009

Taking a walk on the Natchez Trace

Just outside Tupelo, Mississippi, Linda and I saw an exit for the Natchez Trace Parkway. I'd heard of the trace but didn't really know much; Linda was in the same boat so we took the turn to find out a little bit. The visitor center and parkway headquarters were a couple of miles up the parkway so we stopped in. There, we learned about the long history of the trace as a path taken over the centuries by raftsmen who'd floated goods down from the Ohio valley. (Floating upstream is a LOT harder.) We also learned that a segment of the Old Trace, the actual trail, was just a few miles further up the parkway. Being that close, we decided to go see it. It was clearly visible and pretty impressive to think that old traders and native americans had walked home on that same path centuries before.


-----
When Linda saw the original post, she asked if I'd forgotten the photos along the trail. I looked back and found that I had indeed overlooked / forgotten these two images from the Natchez Trace. I'm not the sharpest horticulturalist in the drawer so I don't know the name of this tiny flower but it's one of the early bloomers.

Of course, to get a shot like that, you sometimes become worthy of a photo yourself. As I was lying there, that thought went through my mind and then I heard the click of her camera. I was glad that she'd taken the shot; I figured it would likely be every bit as good as "another flower photo."

No comments: