Thursday, August 06, 2009

Getting a taste of Charleston, South Carolina

Because I'd visited to Fort Sumter a couple of years ago, I'd claimed to have been to Charleston; now I know that I'd not really begun to experience the city. Linda and I came into the city from the south, making our way through the narrow streets of the peninsula. The colorful homes and shops felt like they'd been there a long time. A horse drawn carriage carrying tourists edged over to let us pass as they talked about the significance of this building and that. We found our way to the shoreline where we could see historic Fort Sumter. I remembered the fort tour guide telling how outraged the people of the city had been to have a "foreign" fortress overlooking the channel to their harbor. Someone probably stood where I stood, watching the opening volleys of the War between the States.

We walked up into the city to see the old market area. On our way, we saw the pineapple fountain and the customs house. We strolled the through various stalls and buildings of the market. Between the long, slender buildings of the market, Gullah people were making beautiful baskets for sale.

After our stroll through the market, Linda and I headed out of the downtown to the Hominy Grill, one of our RoadFood.com finds. It was not the easiest place to find but well worth the effort.

-----------------------------------------
Actual date of these events: 2009-03-12

No comments: