Thursday, January 11, 2007

Wednesday Night Pizza

Last night, Joel and I returned to our old ways by going out for pizza on Wednesday evening. The server even remembered us and our usual order! Though I usually like to try different things from a menu, there is something nice to being known.

After our tasty meal, we roamed about dispelling the myth that Sonic had left the area, seeing the new developments at the newest mall community in the area, and returned home to visit Marlene during the Hawkeyes game.

At work, I had overheard conversation that there was only one Sonic burger joint left in the Des Moines area. Last night, we saw two and can accept that there are more.

The Jordan Creek commercial village is certainly growing. Besides the central mall building, there are bigbox stores, shopping centers, and tiny, upscale "main street" areas with residential capacity. Living at the mall... how much better could it get?! Not really what I'm looking for but, for some, I can understand the appeal.

Marlene is an avid follower of the University of Iowa Hawkeyes and really enjoys being able to focus on the games. Our arrival did not bode well. When I asked Marlene if, from her English major mind, she could provide me with an example of a gerund phrase, she knew what kind of evening lay ahead. I am pleased and mightily impressed that she was able to provide an appropriate response to my question; I only know that because I just looked it up. The game did turn out to have an exciting but disappointing conclusion when the Hawks lost a close one at Illinois.

After the game I called it a night and headed on home.

For the grammar curious:
First and foremost, a gerund is the form of a verb, but it is not a verb. Second, it is a noun. And finally, it ends in "ing."

For example:
The story is the same for high-tech farming.
STORY is the subject. IS is the verb. FARMING is the object of the preposition FOR. An object is a noun. A form of a verb that ends in ING and acts as a noun is a gerund.

Can you beat a blog? Informative, somewhat entertaining, and educational!

No comments: