Thursday, May 03, 2007

Subbing at the cribbage group

I got the call to sit in for an evening of cribbage Tuesday night. I hadn't played in a while so it was a nice opportunity to see the guys, enjoy a little of Jeff's cooking, and play some cards. The last couple of times I'd been there, I'd been fortunate enough to have been on the winning side of the nightly Championship Game so I had to take the opportunity keep the string alive.

All night, the hands were pretty low scoring but the pegging was very productive so the games were close and in doubt to the end. The first game looked like it was going our way until the last hand but Jeff and his father, The Commissioner, rallied to win. As we swapped victories, we paused a couple of times to enjoy some Hershey's chocolate and root beer floats; have to keep our energy up you know.

We were behind 2-3 when it came time for the Championship Game. As we were making our stretch run to the finish, we finished a hand just two points short of the finish. Our lead was no more than a dozen, certainly the game would be decided on the pegging. Jeff had been leading fours to me much of the evening and I had a four in my hand. To pair the fours would give us the two we needed for the win. I tossed a queen to the crib and moved the four to the front, ready to deliver for the win. Jeff played ... a duece. I glanced down and played my duece! The streak is alive! : )

No comments: