Thursday, June 04, 2009

Admiring the Okefenokie

More then one person questioned why we were going to make it a point to stop at the Okefenokie Swamp on our trip to the southeast. After having spent a couple of hours roaming the grounds at the entrance and taking a little boat tour, Linda and I both felt that it had been time well spent. It wasn't in it's full summer glory and signs of last years fire were still evident but it was still a place with distinctive beauty... and a little hint of danger. The black bears were in an enclosure and more entertaining than threatening but the gators come in from the swamp and have complete access to the walkways and parking areas. I don't believe I've ever been aware that I was so close to major predators with no barrier between them and me; if we'd been careless or foolish around the gators, there could have been serious consequences. All in all, it was a very pretty and interesting, different place to be for a while.

No comments: