Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Spending a day at Atlanta Motor Speedway

Linda and I went to Atlanta with only one real committed activity: attending the Kobalt 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup race at the Atlanta Motor Speedway. (Yes, we had other things in mind.) When I go to a race, it's pretty much an all day event. One of the activities that I enjoy is roaming around the various activities outside the tracks. Generally, I see at least some of the RaceDay television show live. I also wander the merchendise haulers to see what and who's available. Linda has developed a real knack for finding the haulers where drivers can be seen. Here are the drivers from Atlanta, the most I've ever seen at one race.

Of course, the main event is the race. These shots capture some of the images from the race. I don't know the guy in the lower left corner but he's clearly a character; not the norm for the crowd but certainly a fan. Bottom center is Greg Biffle's car going the wrong way up pit road after a pretty significant accident. In the lower right, a fan celebrates his souvenir: the rear panel from Greg Biffles wrecked car.

The blue car with the 2 on the side in the right center image was the winner and kept my streak alive: I've not yet seen any driver win twice. This time, Kurt Busch was at the wheel.

No comments: