Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Pizza and a movie? Not this week...

Monday night, I got a call from Joel that he'd be tending to finals Tuesday evening so our normal Tuesday night activities would have to be deferred for a week. What to do...

After work Tuesday, I stopped by that field of corn that I'd photographed a few weeks back; the one with the snow on the ears. Most of the corn is harvested now. A couple of stands of a few dozen stalks makes me wonder if the ground was to wet or the harvester has a soft spot for wildlife. In any event, the clear skies and sunshine allowed me to get a followup to the snowy corn shot now that the harvest has come to it's end.

I went home, unloaded the photos, and was tending to home tasks when Linda called; dinner at J. Benjamin's sounded good to both of us. This cozy little neighborhood restaurant has been a presence on the corner of Merle Hay and Franklin for as long as I can remember. Linda had recently been there and wanted me to try the artichoke dip. We did, and it was great! Hunger addressed, we set out for the second portion of our outting: lights.

Linda had saved the section from the paper that listed some of the more impressive displays around central Iowa and we were near a few. The first one we headed for was one that I remembered having seen in years past. While not a display that I could see in my yard, it's still quite a show.

One of things that made this location memorable for me was having passed it in daylight several years ago. You can't really see them in my photo but there are four pair of reindeer led by one with a red nose rising sharply into the sky. In daylight, they rise up off of the yard on a pair of steel rails, a sight that catches my eye when I pass.

I have a few other shots of other locations that I'll try to remember to post each day now until Christmas.

No comments: