Sunday, February 25, 2007

Hunkering down...

Another descriptive term that doesn't sound comfortable but, compared to many, I'm doing quite well. The Des Moines Register headline "160,000 still without power as storm tapers off" makes it clear that this is an uncomfortable day for many. The ice of yesterday is still holding on but now has been joined by a few inches of snow with more coming.

Last night, I was talking on the phone with Linda about the storm and stepped outside for a first hand account. There was a constant gentle rattle as the icy snow pellets were landing. If you stood out in it long, you got more wet than snowy. Around the neighborhood, I could hear the occasional pop of a tree limb snapping under the weight. I stepped inside to continue the conversation and, before long, heard an odd snap and rustle. Twilight came trotting out from my bedroom and quickly turned to see if it was still after her. I went to see what it could have been. Seeing nothing indoors, I took a look outdoors. The evergreen that stood at the corner of my house had split. The usual shallow arc of the cable wire was a sharp "V" where one side of the evergreen laid over it. I got my saw and did some quick tree trimming to prevent further damage.

I went out and shovelled a bit this morning. The snow is still falling and it's a wet, heavy snow. I didn't do the WHOLE driveway. (pause to let the laughter subside) Hopefully, the big half of this storm is already on the ground.

Today could be quite a day around Central Iowa. I'm confident I'll be alright though. Nowhere I need to go and the race in California will be suitable entertainment.

The evergreen shrubs in the background of the picture are my neighbors; normally tall enough to provide great privacy, they're bowing low under the ice and snow.

No comments: