Saturday, April 12, 2008

Learning about Bardstown, Kentucky

Due to the constant, heavy rain, low clouds, and early hour, I have no photos from Bardstown. My personal ignorance of just where I was also contributed. Without intent, we actually had stumbled into a lovely community with a rich history and legitimate claim to Bourbon Capitol of the World.

Several distilleries operate in the area and, as I understand it, responsible for a great deal of the bourbon whiskey produced today. I was familiar with the Jim Beam brand as they sponsor cars at various levels of auto racing. I believe that distilleries for at least four other brands are found close enough to Bardstown to be on their map of attractions. I've since learned that they also have an annual festival celebrating their product.

We did get to see Old Talbott Tavern. Built in 1779, this handsome building on the square boasts in interesting list of visitors over the years. Over the years, Daniel Boone, Abraham Lincoln, George Rogers Clark, French King Louis Phillipe in exile, and Jesse James are reputed to have spent time here. If you hear that either Linda or I were there, it's not quite true; we only saw it from the outside.

Students of Catholic history in the United States may know that settlers from Maryland congregated in the Bardstown area. In 1808, Bardstown joined Boston, New York, and Philadelphia as new diocese in the young United States. The Saint Joseph Proto-Cathedral was started in 1816 and has served ever since. As we were looking at Kentucky attractions, Linda and I had looked at the Abbey of Gethsemani but thought it was too far off our planned route to plan to stop; it's near Bardstown.

Federal Hill, the house that inspired the song "My Old Kentucky Home" by Stephen Foster is also in Bardstown.

No comments: