Saturday, April 12, 2008

Stopping for gas in Indiana

Stopping for gas is generally not something I note in the blog but I think this one has bears mention.

One of the things I'd hoped to do was get across Illinois without having to buy gas. It's just something I like to do. I turned off at the first Indiana exit on I-74 and found the station boarded up; not what I'd hoped to find. The next town down the highway, Veedersburg, was easily within reach.

When we got there, I went into the station to use their ATM and Linda put the gas in the car. All during this stop, a clearly retired couple displayed advanced communications skills. Jim was at the pump opposite Linda two islands out from the building with the ATM, cashier, and, from time to time, Jim's bride of many years.

"It's not working." cried Jim.

"You have to move the knob." replied Jim's bride.

"It's not working."

Jim's bride stepped into the store to check with the cashier. "Try it now."

I stepped inside, got my cash, held the door as Mrs. Jim came back inside to confer with the cashier again.

"Try it now, Jim."

Jim tried once more and was rewarded for following his bride's counsel: the gas was flowing. "It's going." called Jim, then muttered "Should just put a match to the whole thing."

Linda and I were back on the road, topped off and ready for more adventure.

No comments: