Sunday, April 22, 2007

Helping kick off the Drake Relays activities

Yesterday was a beautiful day to be out and around so I went to the Drake campus to view first hand some of the festivities that start Relays Week. I stopped by the street painting and it was just getting under way. The spring football game was about to start so headed up to see that for a while. One section of the stadium had quite a few parents and kids in it; I guessed it was some tour that had stopped by to see the venue and some free football. The PA came on and instructed the junior recuits to get to their section so coach Ash could talk with them. That group sat tight and, shortly, the coach was talking with the boys and their parents. After two quarters of football, I stopped in to see the Drake Women's Softball team battle the Aces (not sure where they're from at the moment.) It was early afternoon so I stopped back by the painting but they weren't quite ready for the paint yet; designs had been drawn on the base coat but nothing more.

The day was still nice to I roamed over a good deal of the city looking for other activities. I'd seen a lot of bicyclists roaming the streets so it seemed there must be something else going on. There was a big event at Wells Fargo Arena and a lot of women in line out the door of a downtown sandwich shop. I remembered that there was a Women of Faith event going on and decided to move on out to the Fairgrounds. To my surprise, the only thing I saw going on at the Fairgrounds was spring maintenance activity. I headed home to take care of a few chores.

I'd been home maybe thirty minutes when Linda called and asked if I felt like going for a drive. Rarely will I turn down an opportunity like that so we rolled back over to Drake to see what was happening. As we neared, we started seeing students in brightly colors clothes ... and hair ... and skin! There's been a paint fight! We approached the street with caution but the majority of the paint sharing was over. A few people were sharing painty hugs but it was safe for the casual neutral observer. the street looked good too!

What's Dale Doing Now locations.

No comments: