Sunday, September 23, 2007

Learning some tricks at Living History Farms' Photography Day

Saturday afternoon, Linda and I visited one of the 100 Places we'd each been to before, Living History Farms. Professional photographers were going to be present to answer questions.

We arrived and visited several of the various locations in the historic village. Along they way we, we saw the blacksmith, banker, and a choral group singing period appropriate versions of several songs. The mansion was full of photo opportunities and one of the pros located out front helped me with macro or close-up photos.

We visited the 1900s farm and exercised found a couple of opportunities to try out my new macro skill. When I looked at a lot of the photos (yes, there were a lot,) I saw a corn theme. The planter plates hanging on the wall and the wire to drive the check planter were located in the out buildings of the farmstead. Not far down the lane, we saw two men shocking stalks in preparation for final harvest in a couple of week. Back on the farm, we saw the bucket of harvested ears and the hogs snuffling through husks looking for cobs not yet stripped of corn.

The check wire photo took advantage of the new macro skill. There will be more in the days to come.

It was nice to rattle around through the farms, recognizing things I'd watched my dad use, a few I'd used, and a few I only know through dad talking about them.

No comments: