Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Trying a Twin Bing

While browsing the 1001 Things to Eat before you Diet, I ran across section written about regional candy bars. Reading a little more, I found that one of those listed was from right here in Iowa. I mentioned to Linda that I'd never tried one. Well, a couple days ago, Linda showed up with two of them.

This bar is pretty distinctive for a number of reasons. The first thing that struck me was the wrapper: striking, bold, and simple in design. Once inside, the bar itself is more like two mounds that got too close to one another than one candy bar. The outer layer is thick with crushed peanuts held together by a layer of chocolaty goodness. Inside that is a nugget of cherry nougat. It's a tasty bit.

One of the interesting side notes about this treat has to do with the Palmer Candy Company who makes the Twin Bing.
Established in 1878, the Palmer Company is one of the country's oldest candy companies and the candy company of its size with the longest span of family ownership in the United States!
Who knew? I may be heading up to Sioux City some time to take a peek.

No comments: