Saturday, July 21, 2007

Looking for the Southeast Water Trough

Recently, I was looking around on the web and found a Des Moines city site that listed the "landmarks" of the town. Sounds like a photo opportunity to me... and a chance to learn where these landmark locations are found. After taking my Friday photo, I had some time to kill before meeting Linda so I headed for the Southeast Water Trough. I don't think I'd ever seen this landmark and, having seen the location on Google Earth, was curious what I'd find when I got there. It was certainly easy to recognize when I saw it; that's a good thing in a landmark.

Located at the corner of Southeast Eleventh and Scott, this watering hole is located within a mile of the Iowa State Capitol. Located in an area that was once a rail center, I can easily imagine this being a place to pause and refresh working horses. It's nice to see it preserved.

No comments: