Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Injury Substitution!

Monday, I got a call from Jeff, the host of the weekly cribbage game. One of the players had suffered a minor injury and wasn't going to be able to sit through the grueling evening of championship cribbage. I came in off the bench to keep the game alive. (Loyal readers may recall the last time I went to play cribbage; it wasn't pretty.)

This evening, dinner was a nice pasta dinner with a full basket of garlic toast. After clearing off the dinner dishes, The Commissioner chose the red deck for our evenings play. My recollection of some pretty poor nights with the blue deck gave me hope that some luck was left in the red. Like last time, The Commissioner and I were partners.

Our luck proved identical to last time; the only game we won was the fabled Championship Game! Jeff knows that the only game the guys at work will ask about is The Championship Game. Having to report his loss would completely offset the quality play of the rest of the evening. All moaning and groaning and gnashing of teeth was done in good humor so all went home happy.

No comments: