Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Attending the wedding of Linda's daughter

This past weekend, I had the pleasure of attending the wedding of Linda's daughter. I'd spent some time with the couple from time to time, often briefly as Linda and I were going somewhere; over time, those brushes added up to a sense of familiarity. A few weeks ago, the four of us enjoyed dinner out and then spent time together at Linda's. Through these encounters and conversations with Linda, I developed an appreciation of who they were and truly celebrated their union.

As I was driving up to meet Linda the day of the wedding, I realized it had probably been five years, nearly to the day, since the last wedding I'd attended. Both of these two most recent weddings gave me insights into the ceremonies that I'd missed before. The biggest thing that they both really did an excellent job of communicating was the support that those in attendance should be able to provide the couple. I'm guessing that it's always been there before but I'm now at a better place to recognize it.

Linda was in her element greeting people, introducing friends from various circles, and just being Linda. It was fun to see the recognition when names were exchanged. People finally were able to put a person with the characters they'd been hearing about from time to time. It was nice that several of them said something like "Oh! You're the one who runs all over with Linda!"

At the reception, Linda was often busy interacting with folks but she did join me on the dance floor a couple of times. It was fun for me to knock off some rust and to see some of Linda's moves, even in very comfortable shoes.

No comments: