Sunday, October 14, 2007

Visiting Ledges State Park

A few miles south of Boone is an uncommon and very popular state park, Ledges. The sandstone foundation was quickly eroded when the glaciers melted leaving a surprising system of canyons and steep bluffs, at least for Iowa. A nice system of trails crisscrosses the park and provides access to some pretty spectacular views.

Just inside the park, we paused at an information station with a headline Bluebird Rebound. As we looked around, we saw a couple of bluebirds. They were joined by another bluebird and a red headed woodpecker. As we watched, we saw several bluebirds and woodpeckers flying from tree to tree in the area. It was surprising to see that many of these two species in such a small space.

We headed on down into the park. Everything was a little wet and the drive through creek crossings were a little more than I remembered; nothing dangerous, just more than an inch or so of water. The stone walls had a nice, moist sheen and the ferns were vibrant.

Linda took a nice photo of a chain holding the barriers in place at one of the points where the stream crosses the road. I complimented her shot and she said I should get one. As I got it lined up, it dawned on me that I might be the subject of a shot... when I looked up, she had me lined up for a shot like the one on the left. I went ahead and she got it. That's how it's done. This one felt a little scary as there was little room for error before I'd be following my camera into the creek. I stayed dry and we both got our shots.

No comments: