Sunday, November 04, 2007

Learning a bit about Orange City

I'd never been to Orange City but had heard them referenced in Pella at Tulip Time. These two communities have deep Dutch roots and clearly continue to celebrate that heritage. Orange City's tourist information center is in the handsome windmill in the left image. The image on the right is actually a walk-in phone booth; cute.

I was completely unaware that Diamond Vogel Paint was headquartered in Iowa, much less in Orange City. While it's a name I clearly recognize, I can't find information about whether they're more national or regional. Either way, it was a nice find. Clearly, they're a major component of this community. As I think about it, I can think of a few connections between the Dutch and paint. Hmmm...

Orange city is also home to Northwestern College. As we were looking for the courthouse, we passed through a good deal of the good looking campus.

No comments: