Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Geocaching at Gray's Lake

Linda and I went for a walk around Gray's Lake, hoping to find several of the geocaches hidden there. It does break the rhythm of the two mile walk around the lake but it's also a little different activity. As you can see in the upper left shot, one of the caches appears to be hidden on or around a tree that's had much of the earth eroded from around its base; that shot was through the tangle of roots. In the upper right, I shot one of the caches we did find.

The image in the lower left is of a wasp nest that I pulled out of a large pipe. No, that wasn't the plan, I was just VERY lucky. The cache appeared to be in this pipe sticking up out of the ground. At the top, the pipe turned from straight up to straight down, possibly as allow some kind of vent but not collect water and dirt. I reached up into the pipe to feel around for the cache. Instead, I felt something papery... so I pulled it out. When I saw what it was, I stepped back quickly and suggested that Linda do the same. When we were both a safe enough distance back, I took this shot... and was VERY thankful it had turned out so well. Lesson learned... I hope!

No comments: