Saturday, October 07, 2006

Committed

I opened an email this morning and found a note that opened "Congratulations! You are officially registered for the 2006 IMT Des Moines Marathon." That’s pretty cool. Of course, reading a bit further, there was this thing called a waiver that included "I know that running a marathon is a potentially hazardous activity." Fortunately, I’m walking; being in the insurance industry, I’ve become familiar with the concept of mitigation of risk. As in my prior marathon experiences, I do plan to run at some point to be able to accurately state that I ran in the Des Moines (Half) Marathon.

Marlene, Joel says that you read this from time to time. I need to provide a correction to the information I provided you earlier. I thought that we were going to be starting at 7:00 a.m. but then I read "Join in the pre-race atmosphere beginning at 7:00 a.m. on race day." Reading the registration information, it says, "Race division starts will begin promptly at 8:00 a.m." You’ll want to advance those viewing times accordingly… or plan to wait the extra hour.

There is some GREAT spectator information at the marathon website. The section "How To Be a Spectator" includes one that was particularly fun: Set out a boom box and play the "Rocky Theme"... please do not do that one. There even appear to be on course musicians playing during the race; NASCAR doesn't have that!

I’m officially committed to participate. Personally, I’m committed to completing this event.

No comments: