Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Very Lucky Night

Monday night, I went to play cards with the Kevin's crew at Bill's house. (Not the Bill I often lunch with, but still a co-worker.) I was a little late arriving due to a number of less than lucky minor situations: late start, had to buy gasoline, got behind a law enforcement vehicle, and turned a block early.

The football game and my cards started off no better. Slowly but surely, players were being eliminated from the card table and I was winning just often enough to hang around a little longer. In the end, there were three guys with LOTS of chips and me with only a few. As luck would have it, they got cards they thought would win and put their game at risk... and were eliminated. Similarly, the Bear defense started playing well and stopped the Cardinals and started scoring some themselves.

Finally, the cards came down to me versus a guy I only know as Cubic. With little chance of winning, I went All-In without even looking at my cards. When the hand was played out, I won. I did it again... and won! Again... and won!! The Bears scored again! Things were going my way on all fronts! Cubic and the Cardinals got cautious. Momentum was with the Good Guys and we played on. Finally, Cubic got a hand he wanted to play and I was All-In. He turned a pair of sixes, a good starter. I turned Cowboys (a pair of Kings). He got no help and I WON a HIGHLY improbable come from behind victory. The Bears returned a punt for a touchdown and took the lead! Maybe, just maybe they could pull it out too. We all hung around and watched the Cardinals drive for a game winning field goal... that sailed wide left. Bears WIN! A wild and crazy turn of events made for a memorable evening out.

No comments: