Sunday, October 08, 2006

Walk, Forecast, Prediction

This morning, Linda and I met up at the lake for a four mile walk. The weather was cool but still warmer than it will be for the event. My shins were again a distraction. We modified the pace for a while, even paused at one point, and put out the burn... just in time to go home. We were both surprised to find that the time was not impacted much. I wanted to be sure that the burn was done so we went another mile and confirmed that it was history.

It's becoming time to watch the weather forecast. Currently, they're predicting a high of 55°F with a 20% chance of precipitation. Saturday night is predicted to be as low as 37°F with a 30% chance of precipitation. It'll be brisk.

When I filled out the registration, I was asked to predict my time to complete the course. I made a mistake in my thinking and came up with four hours, thirty-five minutes; it'll probably more like three hourse, forty-five minutes start to finish. The number of participants will affect the actual wall time of the event. In Portland, the starting gun went off and nobody around me could take the first step; we'd all been bunched up and had to wait for the people ahead of us to get started before we could actually start. Given the long, narrow channel of the first mile and single start time, I expect we'll take a while to cover the first mile. Once the pack gets some spacing, the pace will smooth out. This time next week, it'll all be history.

No comments: